Saturday, June 19, 2010

Unauthorized Credit Card Charges

我在加拿大住了13年,不記得遇到過什麽上當受騙的事情。在美國硅谷住了12年,遇到好幾次了。One year ago I wanted to find a web hosting company so I searched internet. JustHost.com made up a "customer review" page and convinced me they were the right one. As I signed up, then I looked at their other services, domain statistics had 50% off, but I canceled the screen without ordering it. They were quick to respond in email, and sent me a billing statement as confirmation within hours, except the domain statistics also was billed to me without advertised discount.

Then somebody pointed out to me that there were problems with the review page I read.

Mon, April 27, 2009 12:38:39 AM
Re: web hosting

Xiwei, The review on that page is fake. All vendors from #1 to #9 are all the same company. All graphics and codes are created by the same group of people. The review page was done by the same guy too. They put Yahoo on the 10th position to make people feel that their services are better than Yahoo.

All 9 vendors use the same type of servers and similar packages. I chat with their live tech support and they are just the same people. Probably just some young kids trying to cheat their way to rich.

All 9 vendors offer only Linux plan and very limited services. They could go out of business any time.

-Sam


Thanks! So I wanted to cancel the service all together. I emailed my request. The responses were quick, but I was asked to provide payment method info etc, for the "ticket" I filed. After a few emails, I realized every email was written by a different person, and they told/asked different info, including one of the emails said $20 will be deducted from my refund.

Xiwei Wu to billing@justhost.com
Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:27 PM

I have multiple people replied to me using this 'billing@justhost.com' email account. The other person(s) lied to me and change story every time. I was told the advertised promotion on "review" page is no longer valid(it is still there cheating others), or 50% applied to add-on upgrades only, or the discount code was to be entered on "the second page" of order, etc. I just want to cancel, thanks.


But finally, I had to contact my credit card company, and made sure the amount was credited back to me. I didn't want to follow their instruction to a certain page, and I want to ignore the bogus emails that seemed from a different entity.

This year I found another charge of $9.95 appeared in my April credit card statement from justhost.com. I called them up and asked. I was told that they still had this domain that I wanted, so there is an annual fee charged to my credit card. I said I already canceled, I didn't have that domain, I would dig out the emails and confirm it again, please refund. I searched out the one-year-old emails and made another email contact, requesting cancelation.

This time I was repeatedly told that the request could not be completed, unless I login their site somewhere to follow a certain procedure. They even emailed me a new user ID and password! I don't want to login their site, I just wanted to cancel. The problem is that they had my credit card number and refused to cancel my account! If you go into their site, they'd charge you for whatever you looked.

from support@justhost.com
Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Hi Xiwei,

I can confirm that your account has not been cancelled as the cancellation process was not fully completed. Please click the link below and ensure all steps are followed as this will result in the termination of your account.

http://cancel.justhost.com

If you would like further assistance with this please let me know :) Thank you for considering Just Host as your web hosting provider. Have a great day!

Kind regards,
--
Izzy Sturgess
Billing Representative
www.JustHost.com


I don't need their further assistance. So I had to contact my credit card company again, to block this company from any further "recurring" charges to me. I filed a Bad Business Bureau report with http://www.ripoffreport.com/.

3 comments:

  1. If you search ripoffreport.com for "justhost.com", you have had a few listed there, including my story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey justhost.com is still around, sent me another invoice statement today! I have to check with my credit company again. From the "statement" it doesn't seem their atempt was successful though, look at all the "0.00" amounts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Apr. 20 they sent me another invoice. As I check last April credit card billing, they did succeed in charging me $190.80! This time credit card company offer to change a card for me, and reverse their fraudant charges, but another credit card representative asked me to talk with Just Host while she stayed on the line. Just Host billing representative pretended to offer cancelation of my "account", then sent me another link to fill out a form. Thanks, I will not visit their link! But they confirmed that my "account was active and paid up to 2013"... whatever, I only need to watch my credit card statement.

    ReplyDelete